Friends, if you’ve ever lost a recipe you truly loved you will understand my excitement today. For I have recovered two of my favorite appetizer recipes thanks to other bloggers (and some dodgy sites that may now be harvesting my data or something idk).
These were both from Real Simple magazine, which still seems to exist but for some reason is pretending it’s never heard of Artichoke and Spinach Relish with Walnuts or Caramelized Onion Dip. This is such short-sited and random corporate decision-making that I sense that Elon Musk is involved but can’t prove it. Yet.
Anyway, I’ve written about the Artichoke and Spinach dish before; it’s a bit like the ubiquitous hot artichoke dip we all love – a gloopy, heavenly mess of warm mayo and cheese that you scoop on Triscuits – but really it’s a different animal altogether. Lighter, more nuanced and a little more balanced it you’re serving a heavy holiday meal. Trust me: there’s a reason I spent time searching for this one.
And you know what? Since Real Simple has decided to disown this recipe I’m going to call it my own going forward. Take that Elon.
Artichoke and Spinach Relish with Walnuts
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 T mayonnaise
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400. Spread walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 6-8 minutes. (You can also do this on the stovetop but keep a close eye on them because they will go from untoasted to burnt in the time it takes to check TikTok,) Let cool, then roughly chop.
- In a small bowl, combine the artichoke hearts, spinach, Parmesan, mayo, lemon juice, walnuts, 1/4 t salt and 1/8 t pepper. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Because I’m still a bit of a dummy about this stuff I can’t figure out how to add more than one recipe to a post, so here’s a link to the Caramelized Onion Dip.
I gobbled this up at Beatrix when l was in Chicago last month! I couldn't get it out of my…