Jump to recipe
Every now and I then I just have to pat myself on the back. Like today, when I invented this salad. Strawberries are so good right now and I love how they taste with the balsamic vinegar in the dressing.
I am also completely infatuated with the crispy shallots. They’re kind of like super easy onion rings and the thought of topping a burger or a steak with them makes me want to go down to the kitchen right now, even though I’ve already had dinner, and make a burger. I might be garnishing everything with them for a while. I might need to invent Crispy Shallot gum.
Spinach Salad with Crispy Shallots and Strawberries
- Spinach Salad with Crispy Shallots and Strawberries
- Serves 4-6
- For Crispy Shallots:
- 3 medium shallots, sliced thin and separated into rings (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For Salad:
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach (about 6 cups)
- ½ pint strawberries, washed, dried, stemmed, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Toss shallots with ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper, and flour in a medium bowl. Heat olive oil in a 12” nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels and let cool while making the dressing.
- Combine vinegar, mayonnaise, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dressing over spinach, strawberries, and basil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with crispy shallots and goat cheese. Serve immediately.
© 2021 Courtesy of katecooksthebooks.com